Thursday, August 28, 2008

pekasam ikan a.k.a 'rotten fish' hehehe


I bought a frozen big tilapia from T&T Supermarket weeks before. Last week, i just dont know what to do with that big fish: not interested to cook it - fed up to eat 'not-so-fresh' fish, so i decided to make 'pekasam ikan' hehehe

When we live somewhere very far from our 'original' hometown, believe me that you'll become very creative n innovative & suddenly know how to do stuff that u don't even bother to know 'how to' before. that's what happens to me :D

when i was still in Malaysia, i usually got my ikan pekasam supplied from my Kedah'an' friend, Nisa. That's how i learned how to cook & eat pekasam, but to make - never bother before. We do have similar stuff in Sabah, which we called 'gagau' or .... cheh!!! now i forgot what the other name for it. Fried it with sliced red onion plus some hot chilli, so yummy hingga lalat2 pun turut tertarik hahaha.

Last week, i made my own pekasam ikan for the 3rd time. i made this twice before at our previous home. since it turned out really good, so i have no hesitation to make it again plus it is very much less annoying as no flies a.k.a lalat can come into my house here.

Where did i found the 'cara2 membuat pekasam'? easy, just google it. there are several ways or tips to make good pekasam. i studied & use my imagination to get the 'best way' to do it & reached the conclusion to follow the basic tips & use 'secret recipe' to adjust the taste. Want more 'asam', put asam keping lah together with the fermented fish.

I removed the fish head, cleaned the fish & cut into smaller portions, rubbed with salt, leave it 1 nite & then, fried 'beras pulut' without oil, blended it & pour into the fish. I put my pekasam ikan inside the tupperware, leave it on the counter in the kitchen for 2 days before refrigerate it. Hubby dont eat fish, so I worried (just in case) he will throw away my 'sitting on the counter fish', so i told him what was it.

Guess what my hubby said?? He said 'not only DEAD fish, but ROTTEN fish' huahahaha

yup!! alang2 makan ikan x segar, biar bagi ikan tu betul2 buruk cara yg baik, baru dimakan - lagi sodap!!!